A Massachusetts winter brings below-freezing temperatures and puts children without adequate protection at risk for cold weather illness and injury. For thousands of local children living in poverty, staying warm is a struggle indoors and outside.
This year, we will serve 40,000 children with winter essentials!
Winter. Let’s take a moment to remember winter. Even when we’re bundled up we feel how sharp the coldness can be—icy fingers, frozen toes, runny noses. But picture this: there is a foot of snow, it’s 20 degrees, and you have to wait for the bus when you only have one light jacket to cover two layers of too-small shirts. Your sleeves don’t cover your wrists, you don’t have gloves, your shoes aren’t waterproof—and all the clothes that you have layered on are all that you have. That is reality for the thousands of children we will serve.
When you donate warm winter gear or provide financial support, you can be sure that more children in need in our local communities will face the winter with security instead of struggle.
- Donate Online: Just $33 helps to provide a child in need with a winter KidPack to keep tiny hands, feet, and everything in between warm this winter.
- Donate COATS! Early demand for coats has been higher than anticipated and we need 15,000 coats to help meet that demand!
- Give Back with an Outfit Pack: We will receive more requests for clothing at this time of year than any other season—shop for a child in need with your friends, family, or co-workers.
- Host a Drive: We need thousands of coats to fulfill our winter coats requests this year—and YOU can help!
- Head to Whole Foods: Our friends at 24 local Whole Foods locations are doing in-store collections—stop by and pick up a shopping list for Cradles to Crayons donations, with items ranging from baby and kid hygiene supplies to outerwear and clothing essentials. Purchase items in-store or drop items at collection bins accessible at participating locations—and Outfit Packs too!
- Shop using Amazon Smiles: just go to smile.amazon.com and choose Cradles to Crayons, Inc. as your charity of choice. Then shop just as you normally would and .05% of your purchase price will go to support the children we serve!
The Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care states that children need several layers of warm clothing, something to cover the face and mouth, and a water-resistant coat and shoes to stay protected from the cold. Right now, more than 300,000 children in The Commonwealth are living in low-income and homeless situations and they will face winter without the essentials required for safety.
Email us for more information about our Gear Up for Winter program, which runs from October until the Spring, or call 617-779-4700.