Our Spring 2017 Teen Leadership Corps program begins February 13th!
The Teen Leadership Corps is a unique group of students looking to develop or improve organizational and leadership skills while working to make a difference in the lives of disadvantaged children. This program allows students to give back to their communities and the communities around them while improving their leadership and fundraising skills. With Cradles to Crayons being in its beginning stages in Chicago, the TLC program will be necessary in meeting our needs for volunteers as well as product donations.
Program and Requirements:
The Teen Leadership Corps give students hands on experience in leadership, fundraising, and raising awareness for the needs in their communities.
*Because this is a leadership program, we insist that the student (not the parent) initiate contact with regards to their application and their place within the program.
Once selected, each member of the Teen Leadership Corps is required to:
- Attend 2 training sessions. Complete 10-15 hours of service from February 2017-April 2017 by doing two or more of the following:
- Working two-hour shifts at the Giving Factory, leading groups in hands-on volunteer projects such as sorting clothes, cleaning shoes, or filling orders for KidPacks – packages of everyday essential for children in need
- Leading a product donation drives
- Leading a fundraiser to benefit Cradles to Crayons
- Spreading the word of Cradles to Crayons and booking a volunteer group
- Attending Teen MEGA Night in April
- Many, many other ways to spread the word of Cradles to Crayons and be involved!
Students will receive an email regarding their acceptance into the program no later than February 5th, 2017. There will be 50 students accepted each session.
Spring 2017 Training Sessions
Students will be required to attend two different training sessions. The first training will give an overview of Cradles to Crayons as well as expressing the need in Chicago. The second training will be where students begin to plan their collections or fundraising event with our Community Engagement team. They will begin to learn leadership skills as well as fundraising skills.
The session dates for training are:
Session 1: Monday, February 13th 2017 at 6PM – 7 PM
Make up session: Wednesday, February 15th 2017 at 6PM – 7PM
(Please try to make the original session in order to meet your fellow members)
- New members will come with their parents to an information session all about Cradles to Crayons and our TLC program.
- While parents are receiving a tour, students will begin to learn about their time in the program and how to make a lasting impact for the children that we serve.
- Following the first session, members will begin to brainstorm their fundraising or collection ideas.
Session 2: Wednesday, February 22nd 2017 at 6PM – 7PM
- Parents need not attend with students but if they are driving, they are more than welcome to come into our Giving Factory.
- Members will begin to split up into teams and work closely with Cradles to Crayons staff to figure out how to make their plans a reality.
- Members will get a chance to choose dates that they would like to come in to help with volunteer sessions.
- Members will get their t-shirts!
While these are not mandatory, they are recommended to get the most out of your TLC experience. All dates will be finalized by the time of the first training session.
- Professional Development Session – Will have webcam access for students who cannot make it into The Giving Factory
- MEGA Night
- Closing Ceremony – Ice cream bar! Parents invited to attend